College Visit Information and Guidelines for College Reps 2017-2018
Thank you for your interest in scheduling a visit with Jones College Prep! Our school is scheduling all visits through RepVisits. Interested reps can set up a profile at https://counselorcommunity.com/ and sign up for an available time slot.
Most importantly, thank you for wanting to come and speak with our students! We hope that these guidelines and this information will set the stage for a smooth, productive, and meaningful visit. Please let us know of your questions and/or concerns.
1. College visits last approximately 40 minutes. Students will be expected to arrive on time and to depart for their next classes on schedule. Therefore, we recommend that your presentation last no more than 25-30 minutes, so that you’ll have time during the period for introductions at the beginning and questions at the end. (Students will also need to be checked in for attendance before coming to see you, so you’ll lose 5 minutes there.)
2. If your visit is scheduled in advance, you will meet with a counselor and/or with our counseling assistant while you are here. Most of the time, this will consist of one of the counselors sitting in on your visit with students; if no students will be visiting with you, we will do our best to contact you ahead of time and cancel the visit.
3. We do have a set area for our visits. Depending on the day, we may be in a conference room and/or counseling center.
4. We prefer a “small meeting format” of no more than 12 students per presentation. Our goal is to create an environment conducive to small group and individual interactions, rather than large information sessions or lectures. In other words, we are looking for meaningful connections between college admission reps and students. We hope this is what you are seeking, too.
For school visits that attract more than 12 students, we can book multiple periods if your schedule allows. Or we can make other arrangements if larger spaces (such as classrooms) are available.
5. We have 3 set times you can visit with students. They are as follows:
· 11:20am – 12:05pm
· 12:05pm – 12:50pm
6. For as much as we will try to track down students for you, it is honestly more than we can add to our schedules on most days. Therefore, if you have a list of students who have expressed interest in your campuses, please forward that list over email to us and also contact those students on your own to let them know that you will be visiting.
7. Please try to focus your presentation on what truly makes your campus special. Keep in mind that our students are 70% kids of color (so diversity programming will be important), 40% low-income (so scholarships will be important), approx. 50% first generation (so academic support programs will be important), and often focused on career preparation (as a function of their first-gen status) – so your career preparation majors, centers, programs, extra-curriculars, etc. will all be important, too. Get right to the point! Knock these kids’ socks off!
8. Please keep in mind that you will be coming to
9. If you have names and email addresses for Jones alums (or other student ambassadors) whom our students can contact, please bring them along, too. We are encouraging our kids to be very proactive in this process.
10. Our contact information is listed below. If you are scheduling a visit:
a. First Contact: Hope Stimac, Counselor
b. Second Contact: Olga, Counseling, Office Assistant
11. We will provide you with bottled water. We may even have a breath mint or two! If you need to eat before or after your visit, we have many options within 2 blocks of Jones, including Panera, Potbelly, 2 Thai restaurants, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Epic Burger (new!), and more. Just ask; we can point you there.
12. Lastly, if you are doing a power point presentation, please let us know. Also, if your visit doesn’t meet your expectations for any reason, please let us know. We want you to be satisfied and will do our best to improve upon our efforts!
Again, many thanks from the Jones Counseling Team!!!